Top 20 Food Allergies with Delayed Reactions

By Doug

When most people think food allergy, they think an immediate collapse to the floor, the face turning blue. Yes, this is one type of allergy, the sort everyone fears when they hear about a peanut allergy for example.

Possibly more common is the “delayed onset” food allergy, where symptoms do not appear for hours or even days. For example, when I eat wheat, I don’t notice any symptoms for about 24 hours. Some people might take two days before they feel anything. In rare cases, symptoms may not appear for a week.

This makes the job of determining what you are allergic to very difficult.

List of Common Allergens

Here are 20 of the most common allergenic foods:

  • Cow’s Milk
  • Wheat gluten (gliadin)
  • Gluten (in wheat, oats, rye and barley)
  • Yeast
  • Egg Whites
  • Cashew nuts
  • Egg Yolk
  • Garlic
  • Soya beans
  • Brazil nuts
  • Almonds
  • Corn
  • Hazelnuts
  • Oats
  • Lentils
  • Kiwi fruit
  • chilli peppers
  • Sesame seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Peanuts

If you think you might be suffering from a food allergy, but are not sure which food is causing the problem, start by cutting out all of the above foods.

Other foods commonly associated with allergic reactions (although not necessarily delayed) include:

  • Spinach
  • Shrimp
  • Oranges
  • Chicken
  • Strawberries
  • Tomato
  • Pork
  • Beef
Categories : Uncategorized

10 Comments

1

I am finding this information very helpful.

2

The reason why they are allergic to most of the above mentioned by you could be that is a SULFITE /SULPHITE ALLERGY.

all foods that are packaged, boxed, come from a different country fresh fruits, vegetables etc all are sprayed with sulfites also white rice, sugar, salt, any starch all bleached with sulfites, all flours bleached, all dried fruit and veggies preserved with sulfites, dried beans, lentils, etc all with sulfites.
All seafood sprayed with sulfite to keep it fresh and not get the black mould on them.
There is no getting away from this sulfite.
Although USDA and FDA and CFIA allow 10ppm, the manufacturers are not required by law to put sulfites on the label if it is 10ppm or under. NOW this is a big issue of life and death for a person with this allergy because if the label does not say sulfites and the person consumes it, they are in trouble and the doctors at the emergency at hospitals do not know how to deal with this.
Epipen and Twinjet which is epiphrenine and supposed to be injected in cases of allergies (like peanut etc)
cannot be used as ’sulfites’ are used in this medication for preserving the medication!!
To learn more about sulfite allergy, go on google and check it out. There is so much information out there yet there is no help for people like us.
You think that you are allergic to shrimps, that is not the case, if you eat the shrimps from the sea (fresh) as in the bahamas for example, you will be fine.
If you eat the shrimp purchased from the supermarket, ha, you are ill, this is the sulfite sprayed on it thats making you sick.
You must eat organic foods only and dont be fooled.
Some will say their foods are 100% organic but organic only means pesticide free, does not mean preservative free by any means. So be careful and research and check anything that goes in your mouth including toothpaste, floss and other.
thanks, Yasmin

3

Could you please give recipes for breads and biscuits using Spelt, Kamut and Quinoa flours and soda (no yeasts). I would really appreciate receiving these recipes, Thanks

4

I know that I am allergic to wheat and it does take sometimes two days for a reaction. The Wheat is easy to avoid but it’s the modified food starch and malt flavoring that I seem to eat sometimes without knowing.

5

I too have a problem with malt and modified food starch but I have no problem with wheat. I am highly allergic to corn so assumed it was connected to that. Sometimes by the time I figure out what I can eat I am no longer hungry. Between the corn (dextrose etc)and peanut (which kills chocolate since that was made in the same factory usually) and fish and seafood and mushrooms and soy, I am having a tough time socializing. Afraid to eat anything anywhere. Usually go to Italian restaurants and hope I can find something there. Even nighshade veggies like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant etc. give me arthritis symptoms. This stuff can drive you nuts. Even vitamins are tough to find.

6

I am allergy to Yeast and Mastered seed together with minor to so many foods, I am benefiting a lot with these newsletters and find myself able to control, however, I am having a tough time

7

I don’t see wine listed. I think I have developed an allergy to it, but no other products with sulfites bother me that I’m aware of.I’m allergic to wheat (gluten) and sesame also.

8

I have a food allergy and I get two different reactions:

First of all: If I eat sugar then I will be very stressed, distracted and with no patience at all. I can also feel VERY sleepy. This effect will start in about 1-2 hours after consuming sugar.

Second: I also get reactions from yeast (at least I think it is the yeast). If I drink alcohol or eat bread with yeast I will start to feel extremely depressed after 2-3 days. And after I’we stopped eating the yeast containing product it usually takes about 2-3 days for the depression to wear out. And were talking about rather serious depression here. Everything is just grey and boring. I might note that I think I get this reaction also if I’we eaten to much sugar (or dried fruits) over some period of time.

But the thing is that I highly supsect that there is something else also to blame appart from sugar and yeast. At least I can still get reactions even though I’m quite positive that I haven’t been eating yeast (bakers yeast) or sugar. Now I know that I’we had reactions from eating to much of dried dates / dried apricots. So I’m either guessing that to much fructose is not good for me. Or it’s the yeast in the apricots.

I’m about to start on a constricted diet with almost everything ruled out except meat, mais, broccoli and cauliflower. And then gradually introduce new foods to see what goes well in my system and what not.

I’m going to put focus on the following food: Fruits (or anything containing fructose); anything containing yeast, I found a list on this site which was pretty good; any food that is not to fresh and might contain mold.

But I would very much like to hear someones input on what kind of foods might be also causing this?

9

I found this information really helpful and will take serious action with the helpful info I get often.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards
Meghan

10

Does anyone experince a watery, itchy, bumpy rash – my seems to occur after I eat white four/yeasty products.

Leave a Comment

This is not medical advice. Use with discretion and consultation with your doctor.
7035411 Canada Inc.